LSE Space is looking for an experienced Engineer (m/f) in order to fulfill the duty of
UNIX System Software Engineering Support
for our customer EUMETSAT in Darmstadt/Germany.
The TCE is an UNIX-based multi-platform server environment that is used for engineering and scientific work. It provides essential service functions in support to EUMETSAT operations like the collection and storage of statistical data. Currently it consists of about 15 UNIX servers, 250 TB of on-line disk storage, an independent network and integrated backup services. There are some 250 users of the system which are accessing the servers and the disk storage from their offices via Linux Workstations that are used in parallel to the office computer infrastructure. It offers a wide range of operating systems, compilers, linkers, data analysis software and other tools that are needed for software development, data analysis and data storage. It also hosts the development environment for most of the operational ground segments. The system is undergoing constant upgrade. Currently the system is converted into a local Cloud providing most of the services by virtual services and other virtual resources.
The following activities shall be performed:
· installation and configuration of operating system and other software, tuning of operating systems parameters to optimise performance;
· analysis, planning and carrying out of H/W and S/W upgrades or reconfigurations,
· taking care of compatibility issues between subsystems;
· monitoring of the system performance, investigation into H/W and system S/W
· problems and carrying out the relevant corrective actions;
· provision of first-level support to the users of the system;
· ensuring that in case of H/W or system S/W failures the operational configuration can
· be restored, including the definition, maintenance, carrying out of backup procedures;
· co-ordination with shared infrastructures, e.g. networks, storage network infrastructure (SNI), for operations and maintenance;
· liaison with the external providers of H/W and system S/W maintenance for the request and follow up of maintenance interventions;
· administration and installation of databases;
· administration of user accounts;
· support to S/W development and maintenance in relation to the utilisation of system resources;
· implementation and maintenance of scripts and/or procedures where applicable for the automated and/or controlled execution of the above activities, generation or update of technical documentation in relation to system upgrades;
· provision of stand-by/on-call support if needed under special circumstances;
· provision of support, as required, to critical operations.